Sunday, July 24, 2011

Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux and The Met

I've actually been somewhat productive as far as artwork goes, but I would like to write a little about a beautiful sculpture here in NY. Without a doubt my favorite museum here is The Metropolitan, and the other day I finally visited after my six month hiatus from the US. I didn't realize how much I missed it, or how beautiful the collection is. I'm always partial to Greek and Roman sculpture and I visited the Aphrodite sculpture which I always considered my favorite and the most beautiful.
This time I dedicated a lot of time to looking and admiring this beautiful sculpture by Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux.
Carpeaux was a 19th centurey french sculptor and painter who lived rougly about fifty years dying in 1865, he produced this sculpture in 1861. This is called Ugolino and his sons, and it is a representation of a Pisano noble man who was said to be a trader to Pisa and was subsequently put into a tower and left to starve to death with his sons. He is also mentioned in Dante's Divine Comedy (inferno) as being in the lowest circle of hell where traders remain after death. As you can see this sculpture is stunning and is truly made in the round.

I also enjoyed the American Wing and the american sculptors such as Augustus Saint-Gaudens and William Henry Rinehart. Once a month I will attempt to write and show photos of a sculpture at the Met. More artwork soon, and more photos of works that I appreciate.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment