Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Beautiful Ponte Vecchio, Firenze

One of my favorite cities in Italy is Florence. I love walking through the city, almost everywhere in the historical center there are beautiful buildings and important symbols of the renaissance and medieval Florence. One of the most well known places or structures in Florence is Ponte Vecchio. It has a long history, having been first built during Roman times. It's been destroyed and rebuilt several times, the bridge that stands now is from the early 14th century, once used for butcher shops. It's now occupied by jewelry shops and is a favorite hang out spot for tourists and Florentines.

It's incredibly hot in Italy so I tried to draw and paint as fast as I could. I tried to make sure I captured the structure first before even worrying about the color. I've drawn and painted this bridge several times, but I must admit I think this last effort is my favorite.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment