Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Plein-air painting in Merrick

The weather is still nice here in NY, it isn't as cold as it usually is in mid October. I want to try to paint outside as much as possible, so this past weekend I met up with two artist friends of mine to do some plein-air painting at the Norman J. Levy park and preserve, in Merrick, Long Island.




So when we got there one of the staff members was nice enough to give us a tour of the grounds and he then dropped us off at the very top. This where we decided to set up, I thought it would be a nice challenge. After about two hours of painting, and chatting with random people I was feeling good about my painting. Just about at the same time it started to get very cold, so I slowly started to pack up. I like the outcome, but there are certain things which I think can be improved upon, but it is an alla prima painting so it'll stay how it is.




After we finished painting we then got a ride all the way down to the front parking lot where the car was. So I want to thank Ranger Rob for the lift and tour, and of course I should also thank my two friends and colleagues John Hendrick and Jenny Chin. I find it nicer to paint in a group, we somehow find a balance between chatting and concentrating. Hopefully I'll find time to do some more painting outdoors before it starts getting very cold here. I am also going to attempt to paint in the snow when the time comes, I'm sure it'll be challenging.
-R

No comments:

Post a Comment