Friday, February 25, 2011

New Daler Rowney sketchbook review








I have a couple of sketchbooks I brought with me from NY, but most of them are watercolor books. I completed an Earthbound sketchbook recently so I needed another book that I could use dry media on. After browsing through the handful of art shops here in Siena, I saw this sketchbook that I've never seen in NY or in any art store or art supply website in the US. It's made by Daler Rowney, and has a hard front and back cover with a very very light textured design that you can barely see. The covers are definitely sturdier than Moleskine covers, so I'm sure it can take a beating. It's spiral bound, which I never liked, but drawing outside it really is very useful to be able to fold the book completely. It has nice creamy white 110 lb. paper with nice tooth and the book is 8.5" x 5.5". The paper at 110 lbs. should be able to take some watercolor washes so I'll experiment more these next couple of days. I only did a quick colored pencil portrait of my friend Abasse ( notice the tooth of the paper, nice for colored pencils !) but I'm excited to see what this book can handle. I might have to invest in a bunch to take back home with me to NY.


-R

Side note: DSU Toscana sticker not included.

No comments:

Post a Comment