Friday, October 5, 2012

Fort Tryon Park and the Cloisters


Last week I was invited to go to the Medieval Fair at Fort Tryon Park. I never went to a medieval fair, so I was curious and excited. A lot of people in costumes and lyre music, not to mention that it was at Fort Tryon Park, which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful parks in NY.
The park is in Washington Heights and has an incredible view of the Hudson, and the GW Bridge. The park is also important because inside of it is the Cloisters museum.
The Cloisters museum is part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, it was built in the 1930's. The building is enormous and it's made up of several French abbey churches and monasteries all from the gothic period. These buildings were literally taken apart brick by brick and shipped over to NY and put back together. It's incredible that we have this in New York.
 I posted a painting I did from my last visit here. This time I painted it from outside the Cloisters, in the park.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment