Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Painting the home of William Cullen Bryant

I decided to take a short painting trip on Long Island. I know there are a lot of nice places to paint, but I decided on the Nassau County Museum or Art. If you follow this blog you know that I go there often, I go to the exhibitions and I also enjoy painting there. The main building is a beautiful American Beaux-arte piece of architecture and the grounds are huge and filled with sculptures. The property also has  hiking trails, an art studio a beautiful garden and pond. So it's jam packed with things to paint. I brought my lightweight easel and my travel painting supplies. I did about three paintings, although I wish I had painted more, but time didn't allow it. The paintings aren't the best I've done, but anytime you paint outside it's worth it. I gain so much from painting plein-air, it teaches you to think more about your color choices and it really pushes you to react to what you see in front of you. I'll attempt to paint at the NCMA again next week again.
-R

No comments:

Post a Comment