Wednesday, September 1, 2010

New watercolor set !


So I just recently received my much anticipated and very researched new watercolor set. I ordered 24 colors of Daniel Smith's extra fine watercolor tubes with a 24 color half-pan metal box. This was a pretty serious investment, but I already love my set. The colors are extremely vibrant and I can tell the pigments are richer and stronger than my Sennelier set and most definitely my old Koi and Grumbacher set. I squeezed the tube paint into the half-pans and organized the colors in a comfortable arrangement. The paint took about 2 and a half days to dry up solid and to my surprise the paint hadn't diminished much.
I really like the Quinacridone colors specially the Quinacridone Burnt Orange and the Quinacridone Gold. The Quin colors are nice and transparent,but can be laid down thick so it covers well, they also lift off nicely when wet. I'm still in preliminary stages of getting to know my new set, but I've been experimenting and playing around. I did a quick self portrait and I immediately learned how some colors behave (I accidentally dipped my brush into the Pthalo Blue and did the shadow under my glasses, I don't mind the mistake but I will say that the Pthalo is incredibly strong and the smallest dot of paint will last for a while.) So this set is a permanent addition and I'm sure I'll have more work to show in the upcoming days/weeks.

ps: rich green gold and olive green are also some of my favorites.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment