Friday, August 13, 2010

Auguste Rodin


I actually wanted to draw Rodin since I visited the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia. I was bored earlier today and decided to take a stab at drawing the famous French sculptor. I love my new sketchbook and have been really trying to stay with black ink ( Pilot V7 pen) so I can really concentrate on making more levels of shade and therefore adding more depth to my drawings. I've been doing this for a while and I think it's somewhat a success. I feel like using the pen with crosshatching is forcing me to think more before I make lines.
Rodin was a 19th century French sculptor, Most well known for The Thinker, The Kiss, The Three Shades. All made originally designed for The Gates of Hell, an entrance for a French museum that was never made. Rodin was well known for being an admirer of Michelangelo and in my opinion (and many other people's) the most important sculptor since Michelangelo and Bernini. If you have a chance visit the Rodin museum in Philly , which is under construction but still an excellent place to see Rodin's beautiful sculptures and even his plaster studies.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment