Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Auto retrato en Gris

I like to do self portraits often. I do a lot of my self portraits looking into a mirror, but I also use photos. I have a folder on my phone with various reference photos of family, friends, places and things that interest me or that I eventually want to draw. The photo I used for this drawing is in that folder and I think I've done three different drawings of this same photo so far.
I bought three cool grey alcohol markers from Blick : 20%, 40%, and 60%. I use black ink for the drawing and try to leave room for the marker to take over, instead of flooding the drawing with hatching lines. I want to try to use the markers to express different values. I'm going to keep my work kind of loose since the Ecru sketchbook I've been using has really tight and calculated drawings. I think the grey marker sketchbook will be more about getting to understand values with only these three markers. As always light is the most important issue to tackle.

ps: Auto retrato en Gris is spanish for Self portrait in Grey.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment