Friday, August 6, 2010

Painting on school campus


Yesterday I had my Italian final and afterwards I met up with my good friend Victor, who is an talented painter and artist. I don't paint in oils much , I've done a couple of paintings but I feel like I still have a lot to learn about this medium. I recently bought a french easel so I wouldn't have an excuse to NOT paint. My home studio isn't very ventilated and painting in oils there is rough.
So this small painting is a result of 2.5 hours of work. I'm debating wether or not I will continue to work on it after it dries down a bit. I think i'm going to leave it "as is" so I can use it as a starting point to see how I progress with every new 2-3 hour study. This happens to be the back side of Jefferson Hall at Queens College. The older buildings on campus are really nice to paint, the watercolor I posted on the 29th is actually one of these buildings as well. I'm decently happy with the outcome, but I know i have a long ways to go before I am satisfied with my oil painting. I look forward to learning and I definitely enjoy the slow process of painting in oils (this photo is actually about an hour into painting)


-R

No comments:

Post a Comment