Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Clenched Hand




I thought I might start off the year by posting art that I look at often. This is a bronze sculpture by the great French sculptor Auguste Rodin (1840-1917). This piece was conceived in 1885 and finally cast in 1925. This bronze cast is at the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia, PA.
The museum is beautiful, it has a classic Greek temple front and contains many of Rodin's most famous and important works ( including the Gates of Hell, the Thinker, the Kiss...etc). The museum also has many of Rodin's studies for these important works, which for me was very interesting to look at.
The Clenched Hand was immediately one of my favorites. It was amazing to me how this one sculpture of a body part could have so much emotion and feeling. I love Rodin's work and perhaps later on I'll post some more of his beautiful work.

-R

PS: Here's an earlier post on Rodin !

No comments:

Post a Comment