Sunday, May 22, 2011

Schloss Schönbrunn, Wien.

My time in Austria is almost up. I have done a nice amount of work, but I think that my photos are much more important to show right now. I will upload some art work when i return to Siena. I was able to see and visit one of my all time favorite buildings that happens to be here in Vienna. This is the beautiful Schloss Schönbrunn. Designed by the very important architect, Fischer Von Erlach :


I think it's important to mention that Schönbrunn also has one of the most well groomed and aesthetically beautiful gardens. My friend Enzo and I walked up to the hill on the opposite side of the palace where you find the Gloriette which was a pavilion built to balance out the architecture on the property. It's on this hill that the famous Venetian painter Bernardo Bellotto did his famous painting of the palace.


This painting of the Schloss Schönbrunn can be found at one of the most important museums here in Vienna called the Kunsthistorisches Museum. This museum houses the works which were owned by the monarchy here in Austria. The museum focuses on italian, spanish, dutch and german works of the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th century. I still have to write about the Belvedere and certain small buildings that I think are important such as the Karlsplatz train station designed by Otto Wagner in the late 19th century. I have to thank my fellow art historian and Viennese guide Enzo Meisel for informing me and helping me with the German words and names.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment