Friday, May 20, 2011

Wien, Österreich

My travels have brought me to beautiful Vienna, Austria. My friend Enzo and I took a night train from Florence and arrived in Vienna at about 8 am. We came to my friend's apartment dropped our things and head out.
We walked all around and I was very impressed by the city. The architecture here is stunning. I studied some of the buildings before, mostly buildings by Von Erlach and Otto Wagner, but there are many more important architects such as : Adolf Loos, Olbrich, Theophil Hansen, Gottfried Von Semper etc. Here is a photo of one of my favorite buildings here in Wien, this is Von Erlach's Karlskirche :


Walking through the central part of the city you bump into so many impressive buildings and the architecture here is very much Austrian. I think one of the buildings that embodies this individualism is the Secession building designed by Olbrich:


This is the Hofburg palace which was home of the Austrian Emperor and of the Holy Roman Empire, and actually the crown jewels of the Holy Roman Empire are kept in this enormous late 1800's palace. This building was designed by Gottfried Von Semper:


There are so many things to write about, but it can be very overwhelming and I will add more later, but before I really want to post a photo of the interior of the Austrian National Library. This interior was designed by Von Erlach to be a perfect Austrian baroque interior, and it was made for Charles the VI. The photos I took do not do this interior justice.


This is just a quick post, that i thought was necessary to show my first day in Wien. I will post more photos and artwork as soon as possible. There is a lot to see here and I've only been here one day so far. I have a couple of museum visits to make to see some Schiele, Klimt, and Kokoschka.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment